Dr. Christine Sindt and I are starting The Scleral Lens Education Foundation for the purpose of educating both practitioners and the public about the benefits and the availability of scleral contact lenses. We are currently working on funding and set up. The foundation should be established within the next few months.
The Scleral Lens Foundation is committed to teaching contact lens practitioners the science and art of scleral contact lens fitting for the purpose of managing corneal irregularity and ocular surface disease. The foundation will also support public education that highlights the benefits and availability of scleral contact lenses.
– The foundation will host scleral lens fitting workshops that provide didactic and hands on training. Following participation of an approved course, fellowship to the foundation will be given upon the documentation of five successful scleral lens fittings. Fellows will have their contact information available for patients seeking expert scleral lens care.
– The foundation’s website will host a forum and contain educational tools to promote continued education of scleral lens fitting.
– Monthly cases will be presented as learning tool for practitioners.
– The foundation will support scleral lens research and publication efforts through educational grants.
– The foundation’s website will have public accessible information regarding scleral contact lenses.